In late August 2020, shortly after Black Lives Matter protests in the US and the UK highlighted the need to improve equality and diversity among all aspects of UK society, MacIntyre commissioned Shané Francis Myles, a renowned professional in the world of equality and diversity and Director of MylesHRConsulting to carry out a review of our diversity and equality processes, policies and measures to ensure that they are appropriate to support employees and candidates applying to work at Macintyre.
The review covered all aspects of the employee lifecycle from attraction, through the job offer and employment, to the employee leaving the organisation. The review around policies, processes and employees’ experience of the working environment within the context of MacIntyre’s diversity was positive overall, with a number of recommendations made, of which the key points were:
- develop a diversity and inclusion strategy and plan with measurable goals
- gather better workforce demographic data
- equality, diversity and inclusion training for all employees
- create an organisation-wide Diversity Advisory Group to advise the senior leadership team
The origins of the Group
During February 2021, MacIntyre asked staff to put themselves forward to become members of a new Diversity Advisory Group. There was a fantastic response, and from these responses 15 employees were selected to form the group to help provide and encourage a culture within MacIntyre where everyone is treated with dignity, inclusion and respect. The key aims for the group are:
- guide the development and implementation of MacIntyre’s diversity, equality and inclusion strategy and plan
- provide insight and knowledge to the leadership team on related issues
- assist in creating awareness and education across the organisation
- act as equality, diversity and inclusion champions
- support and advise on communications locally, to assist in ensuring that the communications are appropriate and inclusive
- act as a pilot group in diversity training development
What we have done so far
The Diversity Advisory Group met for the first time on in April 2021 and discussed the initial short term goals of the group.
Over the last year as a Group we have:
- introduced a MacIntyre charter for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- devised a communication plan for the Group
- played a pivotal role in rolling out equality and diversity training
- produced an annual report based on the group’s goals and achievements
- helped to develop an equality and diversity workforce strategy
National Inclusion Week 2022
National Inclusion Week (NIW) is a week dedicated to celebrating inclusion and taking action to create inclusive workplaces. Founded by Inclusive Employers, the week is now in its 10th year.
This year’s theme is ‘Time to Act: The Power of Now’.
To promote Inclusion in MacIntyre the Group have organised a series of short sessions highlighting different aspects of inclusion, including making workplaces more inclusive from LGBTQ+, neurodivergent and English-as-a-foreign-language perspectives.
Message for staff
If you work for MacIntyre please log in to the Intranet and refresh this page to see more information for staff.